On September 29, 2018, we held a meeting with the leaders of the areas that are benefiting from the Project WFP – Groasis. Mr. Diego Bravo of the municipal mayor's office, the councilor and the leader of the association Amura, Laura Solano, were present. All the leaders of the areas were present too, except for the Hato Viejo leader.
The following points emerged during the meeting. The following results were obtained during the first phase of the project (carried out with the Waterboxx® plant cocoon):
- Each of the leaders presented their experience with the Groasis Waterboxx® plant cocoon, expressing their gratitude and gratefulness to the program. They are very satisfied with the results so far, adding that the Waterboxx® is the most appropriate alternative for areas where the summer is strong and there is not enough water available for the installation of irrigation systems;
- There is feedback given by Groasis for the removal of the Waterboxx® (plowing the soil around the seedling, placing straw to avoid moisture loss). These tips were given especially in the areas with avocado crops;
- The other crops are in perfect condition. In the case of passion fruit, the flowering stage has already started and in Palizada's vereda large and high-quality fruits are observed: papaya, lemon and blackberry continue to grow significantly.
The development of the second phase of the project with the Growboxx® plant cocoon is discussed:
- Explanation about the Growboxx®: usage of the box, the advantages, costs, benefits, etcetera;
- Consensus on the species to be planted with Groasis Growboxx. Fruit trees: Tangerine, Lemon, Avocado, Tamarillo, Papaya and Mango.
- Vegetables: According to the list of Groasis recommendations: snap beans, peas, red paprika, milano tomato, chonto tomato, cucumber, watermelon, cabbage, lettuce and spinach (the last three as indicated by the leaders cannot miss at home).
There was a positive reaction from the beneficiary leaders. Everyone was eager to continue with the project and move on to the second phase.
Reusing the Waterboxx® plant cocoon
We are now for the second time sowing with the Groasis Waterboxx® plant cocoon. One of the most representative advantages of the Groasis Waterboxx® is that the devices is reusable for 10 to 15 years. Thus, we can plant up to twice a year with the Waterboxx®.
During the trials at the locations Gonzalo, Herradura, Ruiz and Tarabita, passion fruit and papaya crops have been planted. A second planting will be carried out with the Groasis Waterboxx®.
- Gonzalo: will plant Maracuya again;
- Ruiz: will plant Avocado;
- Herradura: will re-use the Waterboxx® and plant with Tamarillo;
- Tarabita 1: will plant Maracuya.
Other news updates from the meeting
We keep working with the 13 different areas, just the same as during the first phase. However, Hato Viejo will be replaced by the area Cortaderas. We have replaced the area Hato Viejo due to the lack of commitment of the members in the project with Groasis Waterboxx® plant cocoon. This decision was taken by the Association AMURA and the representative of the Mayor's Office.