You can save water in different ways while planting. First of all, it is clever to think about the place of your plants. If you have a plant that requires more water than other plants, you shouldn’t put it in a place where you have a lot of sunlight during the day. Give them a place in the shadow. Besides this, we have a couple tips for you so you can save water in your garden:
- Pave as little as possible in your garden. When you have more space for your plants and all the other green in your garden, rainwater has more space to infiltrate;
- If you want to water your plants, do this in the morning when the sun isn’t shining to bright. If you do this in the evening, your plants and the soil will remain wet which can cause faster mold;
- Use a watering can to water your plants and give them water close to the roots. If you do this, the plant will receive more water than you use a garden hose;
- Install a rain barrel! With a rain barrel you can easily save a lot of water. Per year approximately 80.000 liters’ rainwater will fall on the roof of an average house. Most of the rain will disappear in the sewer. If you place a rain barrel of 200 liters, you can annually save 7.000 liters’ water on courses around the house (gardening, cleaning the car);
- Don’t give your plants every day water. If you give them once per week water, you will ‘train’ them to tolerate drought. The root system of the plant will grow deeper into the ground and the plant can search for water by himself (this isn’t the case when you use drip irrigation).
Stop using drip irrigation
In many dry places where rain falls in a short period, people use drip irrigation. Keeping plants and trees alive with drip irrigation doesn’t only cost energy, but also a lot of water. Besides that, the root system of a plant cannot develop deep in the ground, because there is always plenty of water at the surface.
With the Groasis Ecological Water Saving Technology, trees and plants can be planted on degraded farmland without the use of drip irrigation. The benefit is that we use 99% less water with our technology (compared to drip irrigation) and you don’t need energy. Also, with the Groasis Ecological Water Saving Technology you can plant vegetables that use 75% less water than when planted with drip irrigation.
Calculate your project and save water!
Do you want to know how much water you can save with the Groasis Ecological Water Saving Technology compared to drip irrigation? Download the Excel sheet below and find out!